11 Environmental Science (Half year course)
Teacher in Charge: Miss S. Street
NOTE: This course cannot be selected alone - you need to choose either 2 or 4 half year courses in Science.
This course is for those who are curious to learn about environmental issues both in Aotearoa New Zealand and abroad. Many students who choose to take Environmental Science have a strong desire to become involved in protecting our environment and make change for good. We aim for students to gain a deeper understanding of and appreciation for the natural world in this course, and to further develop their inquiry and scientific thinking skills.
- New Zealand native species and ecology
- Carbon and the environment - how carbon is added to and removed from the atmosphere and the effects it has on climate change
- Investigating a range of current environmental issues such as 1080, stream health and kauri dieback, and examining people’s viewpoints on these issues.
- Solutions for a sustainable future - project based
- Chance to grow native seedlings
- Day trip to a Hauraki Gulf Island
**Since this is a half year course, you will have to select one other half year Science course to complete the selection.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Approximately $50 for a full day trip to Hauraki Gulf Island to support in class learning.
Recommended Prior Learning
None but 10EVS is desirable.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.