This course requires 2 options.
Teacher in Charge: Ms L. Cleere
Geography is all about people and their environment.
This course aims to:
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of the world's people and places
- Allow students to consider and form opinions about current issues facing New Zealand and communities across the planet
- Help students to develop skills to carry out research
- Use information and communication technology to enhance learning
This course will cover:
- An overview of global geography and population
- Population issues and conflicting views on resource use in our environment.
- Extreme Natural Events and their impact within New Zealand and globally. Such as earthquakes, tsunamis and tropical cyclones.
- Current geographic issue affecting people and places.
- Geographical skills including topographic mapping, graphing and interpretation of visual resources such as satellite photographs
Local trip within Auckland to collect data for geographic research achievement standard.
Possible optional trip to Christchurch to look at the impacts of earthquakes.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Cost of field trips.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 3 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 3 credits.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.