Teacher in Charge: Ms J. Druitt
The course prepares students for NCEA Level 2. Students will:
- Learn acting technique, focusing on the theories of Stanislavski and Laban
- Take on a role in a major production to a public audience
- Study a theatre style e.g. - Brechtian theatre to contrast with naturalism
- Explore devised theatre, where students will write and create their own drama around a topic or text
- Sit a written external examination in which students demonstrate their understanding of drama within live performances they have seen
The Year 12 production requires considerable extra commitment from students. They should be prepared to commit 2 weekends and 3 evenings for performance. The dates of the out-of-class rehearsals will be provided at the start of the year.
Students will attend a range of performances in preparation for writing critical responses required in their external examination. Students maintain an ongoing digital folder of written work in order to prepare for this examination and keep reflective records of their work. Many of the internal assessments require written submissions of some complexity.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
$55 for optional theatre visits.
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 11 Drama or HOD approval by interview.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 18 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 4 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 14 credits.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.