12 Earth and Space Science
This course covers a wide range of topics including:
- How stars and planetary systems are formed and change through their life cycles
- The interactions between Earth’s four spheres - geosphere, hydrosphere, biosphere and atmosphere
- A practical investigation into an aspect of Earth and Space Science and how this relates to natural phenomena
- Research into extreme environments on Earth, under the oceans and in Space and the adaptations and/or technologies which enable animals and humans to survive
- How energy from the sun and the centre of the Earth drives important earth cycles and processes.
- Exploring contemporary Earth and Space Science issues and how they are portrayed by the media
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Workbook $26 plus possible field trip to Auckland Observatory
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 11 Earth and Space Science is desirable.
Total Credits Available: 20 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 8 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 12 credits.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.