Teacher in Charge: Mrs J. Rainey
This course builds on the content of the Level 2 chemistry course and includes all the chemistry concepts required for tertiary study.
- To investigate and consider chemical and physical properties of groups of substances.
- To relate properties of matter to structure and bonding.
- To understand and use fundamental concepts in chemistry.
- Apply knowledge of chemistry to explain aspects of the natural world and how chemistry is used in society
- To gain practical skills in handling substances and manipulating equipment safely.
Oxidation and Reduction Reactions, Organic Chemistry, Atomic structure, Bonding and, Thermochemical Principles, Equilibrium in Aqueous Solutions.
Future Areas of interest and study:
Tertiary courses with study leading to a scientifically related field such as medical or health sciences, pharmacy, veterinary science, physiotherapy, food technology, etc.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
$20 for Education Perfect, strongly recommended for learning enhancement.
Recommended Prior LearningAchievement in three Level 2 chemistry standards, two of which must be external standards, a Year 12 Mathematics course.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 21 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 15 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 6 credits.
Approved subject for University Entrance
Number of credits that can be used for overall endorsement: 21
Only students engaged in learning and achievement derived from Te Marautanga o Aotearoa are eligible to be awarded these subjects as part of the requirement for 14 credits in each of three subjects.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.