Teacher in Charge: Ms V. Le Cren
Year 9 Music Option is a half-year course. It is for students with a general interest in Music who want to explore beyond our core music programme and follows on to Year 10 Music (Full Year) and 10 Core Music (Half-year course). This course lays the foundations for further study in music by building knowledge and competencies through performance, composition, music literacy and exploring cultural and historical contexts of music.
Year 9 Music Option can be taken by beginning students and by more advanced students. The course is tailored to the student’s individual skill level. Students will learn a different range of musical skills than they may have already covered in private music lessons or in the core music programme.
- To perform as individuals and/or in small groups.
- To develop musical ideas through music composition.
- To understand music in context, through investigation of a range of music styles, contexts, music literacies,
- Students prepare and perform brief performances using appropriate performance skills and techniques. Introducing students to practical music-making by gaining some keyboard and ukulele/guitar skills.
- Students work in groups to create and represent music compositions.
- Introduction to Music technology.
- Understanding music in context through listening, the language of music (theory), and research work.
- Students have access to Music Lessons on a range of instruments through the itinerant music programme.
- Students are encouraged to get involved in Co-Curricular Music groups. We have a large range of bands, orchestras and choirs to suit every level.
Recommended Prior Learning
We strongly encourage students taking option music to enrol in Instrumental/Voice Music lessons through school or privately.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.