Teacher in Charge: Mrs S. John
Recommended Prior Learning
Year 12 Physics. Year 12 Mathematics (Y12 Maths Combined is desirable).
This course builds on the knowledge and concepts learnt in Year 12 Physics.
- To develop an understanding of concepts, principles and models in Physics.
- To develop an ability to use concepts, principles and models to explain physical phenomena
- To develop practical and investigative skills and attitudes to determine relationships, patterns and trends.
- Practical Physics – Investigation leading to a non-linear mathematical relationship that includes consideration of uncertainties.
- Modern Physics – Atomic and Nuclear Physics
- Waves – Interference, Standing Waves and Doppler Effect.
- Mechanics – Linear Motion, Rotational Motion and Simple Harmonic Motion.
- Electricity – Capacitors and DC Electricity, Electromagnetism, AC.
Future Areas of interest and study:
Tertiary study in physics, medicine, radiography, veterinary science, sports science, engineering, architecture, electronics and other technological subjects.
** Physics also includes problem solving, so taking Mathematics especially Calculus will be most helpful.
Assessment Policy & Procedures
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Y13 Physics Rainbows End Trip - $50
Y13 Physics Learning Workbook - $30 (voluntary)
Graphics Calculator - $120
|Rainbows End Trip (if time permits)
|Y13 Physics Learning Workbook
Internal Assessments : Modern Physics ( 3 credits), Practical Investigation ( 4 credits) - if time permits.
External Assessments - Waves ( 4 credits), Mechanics ( 6 credits), Electricity ( 6 credits).
radiography, electronics, veterinary science, medicine, sports science, engineering, architecture
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.