This course requires 2 options.
11 Sports Science
Teacher in Charge: Ms C. McConachie
The Year 11 Sports Science course will set you up for success in your future study of sports science.
The course content will include:
- Being taught to surf by professional instructors on surf camp (optional trip).
- Learning various circus skills (such as diablo, uni-cycling and juggling), then applying and examining strategies to improve performance in these skills.
- Applying knowledge of anatomical features, biomechanical principles and physiological responses to exercise in a Combat context.
- Demonstrating leadership and interpersonal skills in a group activity based on a Professional Handball Franchise Model and explain how these skills impact on those involved.
- Demonstrating how to be safe in a variety of practical settings, including an optional trip to the Wero Whitewater Park.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Optional Activities: Surf trip ( approx cost $300) and Wero Rafting trip (approx cost $60).
Assessment InformationStudents will have the opportunity to complete 5 NCEA credits from AS 90963 ( Demonstrate understanding of the function of the body as it relates to the performance of physical activity.
Other units of work will be assessed through NZ Curriculum Levels.
Total Credits Available: 5 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 5 credits.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.