13 Sports Science
Teacher in Charge: Ms C. McConachie
In this course you will:
- Appraise and analyse performance in swimming, including biomechanical knowledge.
- Apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology, exercise psychology and motor learning to devise a training programme to improve fitness for the Tough Girl running event.
- Perform a physical activity in relation to national standards, in swimming, at the tough girl or another approved activity (own sport).
- Analyse the safety management systems of an overnight outdoor education experience.
- Investigate a current physical activity event, trend, or issue and its impact on New Zealand society.
- An optional camp may be offered.
Course Costs and Equipment/ Stationery requirements
Optional activities - Outdoor Education camp ( approx $150) and Tough Gal Challenge (approx $70).
Recommended Prior Learning
Satisfactory completion of Year 12 Sports Science or HOD approval.
This course is eligible for subject endorsement.
This course is approved for University Entrance.
Total Credits Available: 18 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 18 credits.
Approved subject for University Entrance
Number of credits that can be used for overall endorsement: 18
Only students engaged in learning and achievement derived from Te Marautanga o Aotearoa are eligible to be awarded these subjects as part of the requirement for 14 credits in each of three subjects.
We aim to enable every student to have the course that they prefer, however, some courses have limited places or pre-requisits that may restrict the student's choice.